Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2017

Solving Problems

02/24/17

This post is going to be addressing my post on February 16 regarding the problems that I encountered while building the wind tunnel.

I realized the cardboard rolls where not the issue, but it was the placement of them which really messed it up. I tried to place them slanted inside the cone part when I could of just placed them in my flow straightener part which is more or less a square. It being a square made it easy for me to line them up making the wind tunnel more stabilized as well.

I hope the visual makes it easier for you guys to understand where those cardboard rolls are located now. I previously had them in the cone part making it slanted which caused the issues. They are now in this part of the wind tunnel making it easier for me to duct tape them together. I also got stronger duct tape which helped a lot. I just have to close this part up and start working on the viewing and diffuser sections of the wind tunnel. Once this is complete, my on-site adviser and I will start to work on the real model wind tunnel which will look a lot better than this one. We will use this wind tunnel as a layout as we are also going to be testing how well this layout works by putting a fan in it. The fan should be able to point out any structural mistakes, but its mostly to see if you can view what we are testing and how it is being affected by the wind as that is the main point of a wind tunnel. If this does not work, then lets just say we would have to start all over again with a fresh and better design. If we have to start over again then we would just start to build the real wind tunnel and ignore building another prototype. I mean we would have to be more careful as we can't mess up this time as its the real deal now. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sayish! So I'm curious (this kind of relates to your previous post), what type of wind tunnel are you building? Which one, if any, of the ones you described previously seems so far like the most ideal for the purpose you have in mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am building an open circuit suckdown wind tunnel with low speeds because this type of wind tunnel is the most cost effective due to the simplicity of the design and low wind speed.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you've made some pretty big progress with your wind tunnel. I've worked on several projects that involved designing something with cardboard initially and ran into a lot of the same problems you are running into now. Hopefully when you make the actual wind tunnel "the real deal" one, you wont run into as many problems. As for my question, what is the purpose of designing this "prototype" wind tunnel? Is it to solely gain an understanding of how to build a real one, or will this be on display as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is mostly to gain an understanding on how to build a wind tunnel plus this might actually be the real one used as I can always redo it with better material rather than cardboard. My on-site adviser and I are still trying to figure out if we should build another one after this or just use this one but make it better so that we can keep it as a display at the center.

      Delete