Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Introduction

02/14/17



Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog!


My name is Sayish Karthikeyan, and I am a senior at BASIS Phoenix High School. This blog is dedicated to cover the experiences of my internship at the Challenger Space Center. I am extremely happy to cover what I am doing at the Space Center and hope you guys will join me on my journey.


My project's purpose  is to build a wind tunnel that can help teach students who come to the Space Center about aircraft stability and wing structures of planes. It will help students understand the integrity of a plane and its structure. This model wind tunnel that I will construct will be used as a layout for a more permanent display at the Space Center. After I create the model design, we will start to work on the real display and wind tunnel to keep at the Space Center. This permanent display at the Space Center will really help the kids who come visit understand what a wind tunnel is and how it is used. They will understand the importance of a wind tunnel and how it is used to test the stability of any aerodynamic structure. There are many different ways to construct a wind tunnel so the research I will be doing is to understand the different types and the advantages and disadvantages of each one. The engineering side of the wind tunnel will be my main focus, as a way to understand the nuances that goes behind creating this structure.



What is a Wind Tunnel? A wind tunnel is a tool used in aerodynamic research to study the effects of air moving past solid objects. A wind tunnel consists of a tubular passage with the object under test mounted in the middle. Air is made to move past the object by a powerful fan system or other means.

Challenger Space Center



You can view my proposal here.

You can view my syllabus here which outlines what I will be doing on a week to week basis at my internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment